Simple Squirrel Repellents That Work
Find squirrel repellents & solutions that work
Trying to find squirrel repellents that work can be…um…challenging! There are as many products for every homeowner as there are types of squirrels, whether you live in the country, in the suburbs, or in the heart of an urban setting. If you need to get rid of groundhogs, moles or chipmunks, there are solutions for those as well. These products may work, but all have particular applications and some limitations depending upon your situation. Beware of the obsession – getting rid of squirrels can become a relentless fixation…
- Squirrel traps: One of the few solutions that really can work. There are several brands of live traps for squirrels that are inexpensive and humane, such as Havahart. Another interesting one is the Squirrellinator live trap, which can catch multiple squirrels at a time. The drawback: relocating them once you catch them! (Make sure to check your local regulations for relocating squirrels.) Another drawback? It’s a lot of work, and squirrel families can be pretty large…it can become a full-time job.
- Repellents: For squirrels to take notice, these have to be pretty heavy-duty! Chili powder mixed with birdseed in your feeder works some of the time, but it seems as though some squirrels like chili! Other organic powders and spray repellents can work, as well, depending upon how large an area you have to treat. (Here are 3 DIY Squirrel repellent recipes)
- Sonic Pest Repellents: These emit sound waves that are stressful for animals and which they try to avoid. Works well, but they are finicky…the sound doesn’t go through walls or trees, or around corners.
Pest or Rodent Removal Experts: Sometimes it’s best to leave it to the professionals. If you are overrun with them, or if you have squirrels making a home in your attic or basement, it’s best to call your neighborhood pest or rodent removal company. Just remember, it’s you or them…
More Squirrel Stuff
- The Family Tree: How To Get Rid of Groundhogs, Woodchucks, Moles & Chipmunks
- Squirrels: Friend or Foe?
- Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder?